What Would You Do?

Friday night I was by my lonesome.  DH was trying his luck to see if he could score a last minute ticket to see Pearl Jam at MSG because seeing them twice in one week is just not enough. The only reason I didn't join in is because I was physically exhausted from seeing them Tues and Thurs night and getting home at 1 am on a work night made me realize I'm not 25 anymore. 


Anyway I digress, so Friday night it was just me and Jack, some food in the freezer and Friday night television.  Its a rarity for me to watch live TV.  Ever since we got the DVR (lovely device) we tape everything and usually catch up on the weeks shows over the weekend. Since I didn't want to watch what we'd recorded without DH, I resorted to live TV - commercials and all. 


I came across this program called "What Would You Do?" - it was on ABC I think and it was a hidden camera show where they have actors put in certain stressful situations to see how people will react.  I only caught the tail end where they had an older actress at a pharmacy trying to purchase much needed medication only to find out her insurance no longer covered it and she had to pay $150 or so and didn't have the money.  I was amazed to find that several people offered to help her pay for her medicine and some paid for the whole thing for a complete stranger in distress.  One woman, who herself only survived on social security, gave $20 to help and that just blew me away.


I must say that I am somewhat cynical when it comes to my own human race.  I see us as a people who for the most part destroy, deceive, harbor jealousy and greed and the list goes on.  Watching this show, however, really restored a bit of faith in mankind for me.  It warmed my heart to see strangers helping strangers.


Now if we could just get those drug companies to be a bit more selfless, put aside their greed and see the reality that there are millions of people who need medication that they can't afford, then my outlook might really become sunny.

8 comments:

Robin said...

Cool show. Never heard of it, but it is always wonderful to see people helping people. I do believe it happens more than we think. We simply become jaded by the news which only reports the bad stuff.

Far From Perfect said...

It shows we have to remain hopeful. -In all things.

Yankee Girl said...

Whenever I think that the human race is pretty much full of lying, cheating, selfish people, something like this happens and it always proves me wrong.

Mandy said...

I mostly echo your thoughts on the human race but you're right -- people can surprise you with kindness. I do like to talk to random strangers in the store -- especially if they seem down or stressed. I figure a smile and a thoughtful word might do them good. I'm not sure I'd offer them my money though. Hmmm....

Interesting show. I almost never watch TV even our recorded DVR shows. Lately I've been reading classic books and it's been a good escape for my brain.

The Grasshoppa:Triplets Plus Two Momma said...

This is exactly why I have been encouraging folks to read "Little Bee."

I think people have forgotten how to be self-less and giving as a habit.

I don't trust reality TV shows as far as I can throw them (or the remote) but I dig the concept. :)

CoconutPalmDesigns said...

I've never heard of that show but it's a nice thought that in a real emergency people will forget about themselves and help a stranger.

Stopping by from SITS to welcome you!

Cheers :-)
- CoconutPalmDesigns

Anonymous said...

I've seen the show. It's very interesting to see what some people will/won't do.

I'm stopping by from SITS to say hello.

Cougar Tales said...

Just caught up on your last 2 posts that I never read for some reason. :-0

The Cove Secret is Out.

Site Meter

Follow Me

ReneW Your Space