TTC and Other Acronyms I Never Knew Existed

We Americans sure do love our acronyms - all 4 million of them.  With the many abbreviated "words" our society has created, you can practically write an entire sentence without saying an actual word.  By now we've all gotten accustomed to LOL or ROTFL when something is funny but it wasn't until a few weeks ago while reading forums on pregnancy topics where I discovered a whole new world of abbreviations I never knew existed and were it not for Google, I still wouldn't know how to communicate preconception with as few words as possible.
You see, my DH (Dear Husband) and I have been TTC (Trying To Conceive) for about a year now and have yet to witness a BFP (Big Fat Positive). 
If you asked me 2 years ago (and believe me, we did get asked ALOT) about the ever sensitive "When are you having kids, you're not getting younger" question, I probably would have gone off on you and told you to "Mind your own business, I'll have kids when I'm good and ready" and secretly wonder if that would ever happen.  Then almost as if overnight, the alarm on my biological clock went off and I haven't been able to hit snooze ever since. 
When in high school, it is drilled into one's head that you can get pregnant at any time.  So you spend most of your young adult life in fear, armed with protection to fight against dreaded PG.  Even with thorough precaution, the monthly celebration when AF (Aunt Flow) arrives is so great that it overrides the PMS and all that comes with it.  No one ever tells you that a normal fertile couple who BD (that's Baby Dance or make love to the regular folk) 3 - 4 times a week only have a 20 - 30% chance of conception in any given month.  With these statistics its a wonder we procreate at all. 
For a Type A semi control freak such as myself, if there was ever something in life I really wanted, I went after it and made it happen. It is becoming increasingly frustrating to realize how little control I seem to have with TTC. What started off as a casual, oh lets stop preventing PG and see what happens has now turned into an anxiety ridden obsession wondering why it hasn't happened. What we left to chance and God will soon turn into a science project with strips and monitors. Those close to me keep telling me not to think about it. As well intentioned as they might be, its a little difficult not to think about something that you have to map out on a calendar to try and pinpoint the only 24 hr time frame you're fertile while attempting to muster up the energy after a long day to BD and actually be into it. 
The worst part of this whole process so far is the dreaded 2WW (Two Week Wait).  This is the ever long period (no pun intended) between O (ovulation) and AF.  It is the time to wonder if I'm heading down the road to a BFP or yet another heartbreaking BFN (Big Fat Negative).  It is the span of time where I analyze every slight sensation my body feels and wonder what if.  As if this torturous wait wasn't bad enough, it seems that most early pregnancy symptoms mask that of PMS so one really has no way of knowing the outcome without the 2WW.
My one year plus journey to TTC is nothing compared to some others and knock on wood hopefully we won't need the worst of the baby acronyms IVF (In Vitro Fertilization).  For now, we'll keep trying, praying and counting and hope that the BFP is near...

2 comments:

Cougar Tales said...

Some of these acronyms need to be updated. I mean, LOL is used when someone is sitting at their computer actually LOTI (laughing on the inside). And, ROTFL is sed when they are actually SITCL (sitting in the chair laughing).

Wishing you lots of love on your journey in this TTC process....since I have no words of wisdom that would sound right.
- Cougs @ www.cougar-tales.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I am kind of in the same shoes, except the clock has not gone off yet... Good luck with your BFP & hope the 2WW doesn't get you down :)

The Cove Secret is Out.

Site Meter

Follow Me

ReneW Your Space